A strong password with two-factor authentication enabled is a must if you want your account to stay protected from hacking. Considering how rampant data breach has become these days, taking a chance on a weak password is akin to handing over your sensitive information to hackers with both hands. The good thing is it’s never too late to enhance the safeguard of your security code. So, whether you have got a security recommendation alerting you that your password may be compromised or you have decided to opt for a robust security code, let me tell you how to change Apple ID password on iPhone and iPad.
Change/Reset Apple ID Password on iPhone and iPad (2022)
How Does Password Changing Work on iOS and iPadOS?
If all you need is to update your Apple ID password, you can get it done right from your “Profile” setting on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac – without any hassle at all. Keep in mind that your password must include at least 8 characters and include an uppercase letter, a lowercase letter, and a number. As for authentication, it just requires your device passcode.
Interestingly, the “Passwords” section (aka iCloud Keychain) doesn’t include the option to change the Apple ID password, which might be confusing quite a lot of users.
What if you have forgotten your password and are looking for ways to reset your Apple ID password? In this specific scenario, you will need to take a bit different route to restore your account. Bother not, we’ve discussed all the possible methods for resetting the password.
Change Apple ID Password on iOS and iPadOS Without Losing Any Data
1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and tap on your profile at the top center.
2. Now, select Password & Security.
3. Next, tap Change Password.
4. Next up, enter your device passcode.
5. Up next, type in your new password and verify it. Do note that your Apple ID password must be at least 8 characters long and contain a number, an upper letter, and a lowercase letter.
6. Once you have verified your Apple ID password, hit Change at the top right corner of the screen to confirm.
- Changing the Apple ID password on Mac is just as straightforward.
- To update your Apple ID password on macOS, head over to the Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Password & Security -> Change Password. Now, authenticate with the password you use to unlock your Mac. Next, enter your new password and verify it.
- It’s worth pointing out that in some cases, you might be able to use a trusted email or phone number to reset your password.
Use Your Recovery Contact to Reset Your Apple ID Password
With iOS 15 and later, Apple has introduced a highly efficient iCloud data recovery service that allows you to add someone (like your friend or family) as a recovery contact. If you forget your password, you can take the help of your recovery contact to regain access to your account.
- Head over to Settings app -> your profile -> Password & Security -> Account Recovery -> Add Recovery Contact.
- Now, follow the instruction to add a person as your recovery contact.
To find out more about how this all-new feature works, check out our detailed guide on what is iCloud Account Recovery and how to recover your data.
Use Recovery Key to Reset Your Apple ID Password
With a recovery key, it’s quite easy to reset your Apple ID password. For those unfamiliar, a recovery key is a randomly generated 28-character code that allows you to regain access to your account. While it’s a more secure way of resetting the password, it demands additional responsibility.
If you ever happen to lose your recovery key or can’t access your devices, you won’t be able to regain access to your account. In such a situation, not even Apple can help you unlock your account.
- To generate a recovery key on your iPhone or iPad, navigate to the Settings app -> your profile -> Password & Security.
- Now, tap Recovery Key and then turn on the toggle. After that, go through the on-screen instructions to complete the process. Make sure to write down your recovery key and save it in a safe place.
Use Apple Support App to Reset Your Apple ID Password
You can also use your friend/family member’s iPhone or iPad to reset your Apple ID with ease. Yeah, you got that right. This process is much easier than you think.
1. Launch the Apple Support app on your device -> choose Password & Security -> Reset Apple ID password.
- If Apple Support is not available on your device, download it from the App Store. The app supports iPhone, iPad, and iPad touch running iOS 14 or later.
2. Now, tap Get Start and then tap “A different Apple ID”. After that, enter the Apple ID that you want to reset the password for. Then, follow the instructions to change the password of your Apple ID.
Use Find My iPhone App to Reset Apple ID Password
Apart from letting you find a lost iPhone even if it’s lost or erased, the Find My app also allows you to reset your Apple ID password from a friend or family member’s device.
1. Open the Find My iPhone/iPad. Then, tap the Me tab at the bottom right corner of the screen and then select the “Help a Friend” option.
2. Now, tap “Use a Different Apple ID” and then hit the Forgot Apple ID or Password. After that, go through the quick instructions to reset your Apple ID password.
Can’t Change or Reset Your Password? Here’s the Fix
If you are unable to change or reset your Apple ID password, don’t worry as Apple has created a dedicated web page to let you fix it.
1. Navigate to iforgot.apple.com -> enter your Apple ID and hit Continue.
3. After that, choose to answer security questions, enter your recovery key or verify through an email. Then, follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password.
What to Do After You Change Your Apple ID Password?
After you reset your Apple ID password, you might be asked to update your sign-in information with any Apple services that you are currently using. In some cases, there is no need to update the password until the next time you are prompted to do so. In other cases, especially if you are using certain services to share important information, you must update the password without any delay.
Securely Change/Reset Your Apple Apple ID Password iPhone and iPad
That’s all there is to changing or resetting the Apple ID password. As I said above, updating the password through the profile setting is quite easy. So, you can use this simple route to update your security code. Even if you forget your password, there are several reliable ways to recover your account. That said, do you have any questions regarding changing/resetting the password of the Apple ID? If yes, make sure to shoot them in the comments section below.