In the wake of Coronavirus, almost everything, from working to socializing, has moved online. One of the key aspects of our social life is watching movies together but with the ‘stay at home’ order in place, the proposition seems a distant future. But worry not, you can still watch movies together with friends online. There are web services that allow you to invite your friends and watch movies in complete sync with each other. You can video chat, send messages, and interact all the while watching a movie. Isn’t that awesome? So in this article, we bring you a comprehensive guide on how to watch movies together with friends online. We have mentioned services that are compatible with YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, and more. With that in mind, let’s now move ahead and learn how to watch movies with friends online in 2020.
Watch Movies Together with Friends Online (2020)
Metastream allows you to watch movies together with friends and family online in complete sync and with a chat option. You don’t need to create an account or go through a complex setup process. And the best part about Metastream is that it supports a long list of online streaming services including Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and more. Apart from that, Metastream is completely free so that is awesome. However, keep in mind, it does not support webcam and audio chat.
2. After that, open Metastream’s portal and pick a display name. Next, click on “Get Started“.
3. On the next page, click “Start Session“.
4. Here, click on “Add Media“.
5. Finally, you can paste any video link from the internet, be it a movie or a TV show. After that, click on “Add to Session”.
6. Instantly, media playback will start on your computer. Now to share the stream with your friends, click on the “Invite” button on the “Users” window.
7. After that, copy the link and share it with your friends. Once your friends open the link on their computer, you will receive a notification to approve the request. Click on the green icon on the same “Users” window and your friends will join the stream immediately.
8. To chat with your friends, click on the 3-dot icon and open “Chat”. The chatbox will appear on the left side of the screen.
9. Apart from that, you can also click on the “+” button to add movies and shows in a queue.
10. From now onwards, you don’t have to open Metastream’s portal manually. Whenever you are playing a video on Netflix or any other streaming site, just click on the “Metastream” extension on the toolbar and the media playback will move to Metastream. From there, you can share the stream with your friends.
As the name suggests, Netflix Party is another popular way to watch Netflix movies and TV-series together with friends and family. It offers seamless playback sync and a chatbox for interaction with friends, but keep in mind, there is no webcam or audio chat. Also, the service is totally free to use. Having said that, all the participants will need a separate Netflix subscription to join the party.
2. Now, open Netflix and play your favorite movie or show. After that, click on the “NP” extension on the toolbar and click on “Start Party”. You can enable “Only I have control” checkbox to restrict playback controls to yourself.
3. Next, a link will be generated. Now, copy the link and share it with your friends.
4. After clicking on the link, your friends will join the party instantly. There is no approval process here. You can play, pause, and fast forward the movie and it will sync in real-time with your friends’ playback. In addition, a chatbox will stay active on the right side for interaction with your friends.
Scener is another platform for watching Netflix movies and shows together with friends online. However, the best part Scener is that it allows webcam and audio chat as well. Basically, you can video chat simultaneously while watching movies together online. Here is how you can get it.
1. Download the Scener extension for Chrome.
2. After that, you will be automatically redirected to Scener’s website. Here, create your free Scener account.
3. Now, sign into Netflix and open the Scener extension from the toolbar. It will open a separate window on the left side. Here, click on “Create Private Theater”.
4. After that, click on “Next” and further choose “Yes” to enable the webcam.
5. Scener will offer you a link. Copy that and share it with your friends.
6. Now, your friends need to log in to their Netflix account first and then open the Scener link. After that, they will join the stream immediately. You can now watch Netflix movies and shows together with video chat support.
Syncplay is for those users who want to watch downloaded movies with friends online. The playback syncing is seamless and the app is completely free given that it’s an open-source program. Apart from that, Syncplay is available on Windows, macOS, and Linux so that is great. However, keep in mind, all the participants need to download the same movie file on their computer. Further, the setup process is a bit complex so if you don’t have the expertise, you can go for the web solutions mentioned above.
Note: The below process applies to all the participants.
2. After the installation, open Syncplay and choose any server address from the drop-down menu. After that, give a name to your room and make a note of it. Next, click on “Browse” and choose the media player’s EXE file from C drive. For example, here I have chosen VLC. Now, click on “Store configuration and run syncplay”.
3. After that, both Syncplay and VLC will open up automatically. On the Syncplay window, click on “File” and select “Open Media File“.
4. Here, choose the video file and open it. VLC will instantly load the file. After that, click on “I’m ready to watch” checkbox.
5. Now, to bring all your friends together, share the room name of one participant with everyone else. Further, enter the exact name in the room field and hit the “Join room” button. Finally, everyone will appear in the User window above. If they enable “I’m ready to watch” checkbox, the icon will turn green.
6. Finally, play the movie on VLC and it will start playing on all your friends’ computers. You can play, pause, fast forward and it will reflect on everyone’s computer. You can also use Syncplay’s notification window to send messages to your friends. So that is how you can watch downloaded movies together online.
Kast and Other Services
Here, I am going to mention some other services from where you can watch movies together online. Earlier, Rabbit was a popular service for watching online content together, but soon it was transitioned to a new platform called Kast. While Kast looks promising for streaming purposes, it still does not have some of the basic Rabbit features. For example, you can’t play media through a web URL either from YouTube or Netflix. You can only screen share an application window to stream movies. But that does not offer the best experience as others can’t interact with the playback and the quality remains sub-par. Further, you have far better options like Zoom and Skype for screen sharing so I would not really recommend Kast for watching movies together online.
You can also go for TwoSeven which offers video chat features while watching movies together on Prime Video, Hulu, and various other platforms. However, you will need to pay a subscription fee for accessing some of the features. Next, there is a new promising extension called Vemos that allows you to video chat with friends while watching Netflix and Prime Video. Also, Caracal looks pretty nice if you want a good bitrate while watching movies together online. Finally, you can head over to our article on the best Rabbit alternatives to find a similar solution for online co-watching.
Watch Movies and Series with Friends Online
So those are the 5 ways you can watch movies online with your friends and family. While there are many programs and extensions out there, we have only picked the ones that offer stable experience with good bitrate. Apart from that, we have also mentioned a step-by-step guide on how to watch downloaded movies together with friends online. In case, you are facing problems while configuring any app, do comment down below and let us know. We will definitely try to help you out.