If you’re an avid gamer, chances are, you’re already made use of Steam to purchase some of your favorite games. After all, it’s considered as the world’s leading platform when it comes to digital video game distribution, thanks to the huge popularity it has achieved over the last 13 years since launch. Everyone knows that there are a plethora of games that you can choose from and purchase, but did you know that you could earn money all by yourself on Steam? That’s right, by selling some of your precious in-game items, earning money on Steam is a reality, thanks to the Steam Community Market. The money that you earn on Steam will end up in your Steam wallet, which can be used to purchase games digitally from the Steam store. Sounds interesting, right? Well, without further ado, let’s take a look at how to sell in-game items on the Steam Community Market:
Prerequisite – Enable Steam Guard
Steam doesn’t allow you to immediately sell your in-game stuff just like that. The platform has placed some restrictions before you actually get to make use of the Steam Community Market to buy or sell items. In order to prevent someone from misusing your Steam wallet funds by illicitly obtaining your password, Steam forces users to enable Steam Guard (via E-mail or mobile authenticator) for at least 15 days, before you can actually take advantage of the Steam Community Market. If you haven’t enabled Steam Guard on your account yet, simply follow the steps below to get this done in a jiffy:
- Open up the Steam desktop client on your computer and log in with your account. Once done, go to Steam -> Settings located at the top-left corner of the window.
- Now, under the Account section, click on “Manage Steam Guard Account Security”.
- Here, you have two options. You can either choose to get Steam Guard codes by email or make use of the Steam mobile app that’s available for iOS and Android devices. This app features a Steam Guard mobile authenticator where you can get all the codes. Choose your preferred option to turn on Steam Guard.
Selling In-Game Items on The Steam Community Market
Once you’ve waited for 15 days after you enabled Steam Guard on your account, you’ll be able to make use of the Steam Community Market to sell your in-game items. Simply follow the steps below to sell your stuff easily within minutes:
- Once you’re in the Steam home page, click on Community -> Market from the main menu, in order to head over to the Steam Community Market.
- In order to start selling your stuff, click on “Sell an item” located in the right pane of the window.
- Now, you’ll be taken to your inventory, which shows a list of all the in-game items that you have for each game individually. Depending on the item you want to sell, choose the particular game and scroll down to that specific item. Select the item and click on “Sell” option which is located at the very bottom.
- Once done, the next-menu will pop-up, where you’ll be able to set the price of the item that you’re planning to sell. Regardless of the amount you’re entering, Steam charges you a fee for the transaction, and therefore, the amount you receive will always be lesser than the amount a buyer pays for the item. In order to list your item for sale, click on “OK, put it up for sale”.
- Steam will now ask you to confirm the selling price. Simply click on “OK” to confirm.
- Now, before the item is actually listed for sale, Steam will ask you to confirm the process via E-mail or the Steam Mobile app. In order to confirm it on the mobile application, head over to the App’s menu and click on “Confirmations”. Now, the application will show the item you’re about to sell. Simply check the box right next to it and click on “Confirm Selected”.
- Well that’s pretty much all you got to do from the seller’s side of things. You’ll be able to view your active listing whenever you head over to the Steam Community Market, until the product is sold.
- Once someone buys the item you’ve listed on the Steam Community Market, the amount will immediately be transferred to your Steam wallet, and you’ll be able to check out the buyer by heading over to the Market History section.
SEE ALSO: How to Trade Items With Your Friends on Steam
Earn Money By Selling In-Game Items on The Steam Community Market
The Steam Community Market is a great platform to buy or sell in-game items that are usually pretty hard to obtain in game, by making use of actual money that’s available in the Steam wallet. Well, the cost of some of the in-game items listed on the Steam Community Market go up to thousands of dollars, and we’re not even kidding. However, this totally depends on the rarity of the item, as well as the popularity of the game. So, what do you guys think about the Steam Community Market? Are you planning to sell your rare in-game items and earn some serious cash? Do let us know, by shooting your valuable opinions in the comments section down below.