Counter-Strike 2 has finally been released, exiting the limited beta test stage after nearly six months. CS2 is built using the Source 2 engine and brings an array of exciting new features. This includes new smokes, updated visuals, an overhaul of some of our beloved maps, new UI, and more. If you are eager to play Counter-Strike 2, we have shared the step-by-step process on how to download CS2 and start playing the tactical shooter right away.
How to Download Counter-Strike 2 on Windows PC
For those wondering, is Counter-Strike 2 free? Do I need to pay money to upgrade from CS:GO to CS2? Well, Counter-Strike 2 is a free-to-play game. So, you don’t need to spend any money to start playing CS2, although there is a Prime Status Upgrade that we have explained later in this article. As for the system requirements for Counter-Strike 2, we suggest you go through our release linked here.
With the basics out of the way, let’s check out the steps to install and play CS2 on your system:
- First, you need to have a Steam account as well as the Steam Client (download here). Follow the steps mentioned on the website to create your account if you don’t have one already. If you already know about Steam, skip ahead.
- Once you have launched Steam on your Windows PC, go to the Steam Store. Here, search for “Counter-Strike 2” and click on the suggested result. You can also visit this link to access the Counter-Strike 2 Steam page directly.
- Make sure you are inside the Steam client when visiting the Counter-Strike 2 page. Then, click on Play after which the Steam app will prompt you to configure the CS2 installation. If you have opened the link in a browser window, clicking on “Play Game” will prompt you to open Steam, so click on “Yes, Steam is installed” when asked.
- While Counter-Strike 2 is free to play, consider buying the “Prime Status Upgrade” later on for gaining access to exclusive Prime matchmaking for Counter-Strike 2. The CS2 experience is better with Prime, and you will also encounter fewer hackers.
- Proceed with the installation options, and the game will start downloading. Here, you can configure the drive to install to in Steam, by clicking on the Settings button. , you can consider buying the “Prime Status upgrade” to gain Prime-exclusive CS2 matchmaking with fewer hacker encounters.
- Once the game finishes downloading, click on “Library” inside the Steam app. Here, find Counter-Strike 2 and click on it.
- Then, click on Play to start the game. It will install a few necessary components such as DirectX & Visual C++ and launch right after.
How to Fix CS2 ‘Missing Executable Error’ on Steam?
Are you unable to download Counter Strike 2 on Steam right? Are you seeing the missing executable error (CS2.exe) while installing CS2 on Steam? If that is the case, we suggest you uninstall the game. Then, restart your Steam client. We also encountered this error and following these steps solved the issue right away. A lot of people are trying to download Counter-Strike 2 right now, and the servers are definitely overloaded. We slowly got the update on Steam on different gaming PCs.
Now that the game is not limited by a beta, everyone can enjoy playing Counter-Strike 2! If you are having FPS issues, check out our guide on the best CS2 settings to maximize FPS and performance. You can also learn to use the FPS and net graph commands in Counter-Strike 2. Finally, let us know your thoughts on Source Engine 2 upgrades in the comments below!