Xiaomi recently launched the Mi Box 4K in India. At ₹3,499 the Mi Box 4K is a solid Android TV box for everyone. It offers almost everything you might want, including support for 4K resolution. So, if you’ve bought a brand new Mi Box 4K, or you’re thinking of buying one, here is how to set-up and use the Mi Box 4K on your TV.
How to Set Up Mi Box 4K
The first thing you need to know is that the Mi Box 4K comes with almost everything you need to set it up with your TV, including an HDMI cable. However, the company doesn’t include AAA batteries for the remote. So make sure you have purchased 2x AAA batteries. You can’t set up the Mi Box 4K without turning on the remote. Alright, now let’s see what you need to do to set it up.
- Plug-in the Mi Box 4K to power, and connect the HDMI cable to your TV. Turn on your TV as well.
- You will now see a on your TV showing you how to pair your remote with the Mi Box. You have to press and hold the Apps button and the Home button together (as shown below) until you hear a beep.
Quick break. This is where I faced a problem. Pressing and holding the buttons was not doing anything for me. Hopefully you don’t encounter this problem, but if you do, there’s an easy solution.
- Try pressing the power button on the remote and see if that turns off your Mi Box. If it does, awesome. Just turn on the box again, and you can proceed with the set up.
- If it doesn’t, then power off the Mi Box from the mains, and then turn it on again. You should be able to pair the remote now.
Now that we’ve gotten around this issue let’s continue with the complete set up for this thing. There are two ways you can carry on with the set-up depending on whether or not you use an Android phone.
Set up Mi Box 4K with an Android Device
- Follow the prompts on the screen to select your language and region.
- You will then see a screen asking ‘Quickly set up your TV with your Android phone?‘. Select ‘Continue’.
- On your Android phone, launch the Assistant and say (or type) “Set up my device“. Tap on ‘Next‘. Your phone will now search for devices.
- It will automatically connect your Mi Box 4K. If it shows a list of devices, select Mi Box from the list. Now, verify that the code shown on your phone is the same as the one on your TV.
- Select a WiFi network, and then tap on ‘Copy’.
- Choose the Google account you wish to copy, and continue the process.
- Just follow the prompts and you’ll be set up in no time.
The great thing about setting up with an Android phone is that it automatically signs you into your Google account on the TV. So you don’t have to enter passwords and what not. Moreover, if your Netflix account‘s password is saved with Google, it will also be automatically signed into and set up. Easy peasy, right?
Set up Mi Box 4K without an Android Device
Sometimes setting up with Android fails. It did so multiple times for me. In such cases, or in cases where you don’t have an Android phone, here’s how to complete the set up.
- Choose ‘Skip’ when the TV prompts you to set up with an Android device. Now, select your WiFi network and enter your password.
- Accept the Terms of Service and provide Android TV with required permissions. It will then walk you through the basic features of Android TV.
That’s pretty much it. However, since you set up without your Android phone, you will need to sign in to your Google account manually. Let’s do that as well.
- Navigate to the notification icon and select it. Here click on the option asking you to sign in to Google.
- Click on ‘Sign In‘.
- Select ‘Use your phone or computer‘. You can also choose remote, but that’s more time consuming.
- Visit the URL displayed on the TV (or click here), and enter the code shown there. That’s it, your Google account will be signed in on your TV.
Set Up Your Mi Box 4K Easily
Now that you know how to set up the Mi Box 4K, you can enjoy all your favourite shows and movies from Netflix, Prime Video, Hotstar and more straight on your TV. There are also a bunch of cool Android TV tips and tricks that you should try. Also, if you’re looking for things to watch, check out our list of the best movies to stream during the quarantine. Also, if you face any issues in the set up, feel free to ask us about it in the comments.