We recently wrote a tutorial on how to install Chrome OS Flex on a Windows PC, and a majority of users loved the lightweight profile of Chrome OS. However, some users started facing problems such as Wi-Fi incompatibility, trackpad issues, Bluetooth disconnection, audio issues, and more on Chrome OS Flex. Not to mention, some were missing Windows apps on Chrome OS Flex, although you can run light Windows apps on Chrome OS. Nevertheless, if you are unimpressed with Chrome OS Flex, here’s a simple guide on how to delete Chrome OS Flex and reinstall Windows 10 or 11. So on that note, let’s go ahead and learn how to uninstall Chrome OS Flex.
Delete Chrome OS Flex and Reinstall Windows (2022)
1. First, you need to create a bootable USB drive for Windows 10 or 11. You can follow our detailed guides on how to create Windows 10 bootable or how to create a Windows 11 bootable USB. For this step, you will need a separate Windows PC.
2. After that, plug the bootable USB into the Chrome OS Flex machine and shut down the computer. Next, turn on the computer and start pressing the boot key immediately. You can find the boot key for your laptop or motherboard in the below table. This will bring up the boot device selection page.
3. Here, choose the USB drive in which you flashed Windows 10 or 11. Then, hit Enter.
4. Now, the Windows installer setup will appear. For both Windows 10 and 11, the steps are identical so no worries on this front. Here, click on “Install now“.
5. After that, click on “I don’t have a product key” on the next page.
6. Next, click on “Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)“.
7. If there are multiple partitions, select each partition and click on “Delete“. Do this for all the partitions. This step will delete Chrome OS Flex from your computer. Now, when there is just one partition left, select it and click on “New”. It will create additional partitions required to run Windows.
8. Finally, click on “Next” and Windows 10/ 11 will start getting installed on your PC.
9. After the installation, your computer will restart and boot into the setup screen. Now, you can sign in to your Microsoft account or follow our guide and create a local account on Windows 11.
10. Once the setup process is complete, you will be back to Windows. In my case, I deleted Chrome OS Flex and reinstalled Windows 11. I will suggest debloating Windows 11 to at least have a usable experience on your low-end computer.
Uninstall Chrome OS Flex from Your PC
So that is how you can uninstall Chrome OS Flex from your PC and reinstall Windows 10 or 11, based on your preference. If you have a low-end PC, I will suggest installing Tiny10, which is a lightweight version of Windows 10. Anyway, that is all for this guide. If you’re still facing issues while deleting Chrome OS Flex from your laptop, let us know in the comments section below. We will try to help you out.
very helpful and straight to the point 🙂
i got stuck to the “you cant install windows on this partition” and thats how i came to the article. i dint knew that i had to delete partitions .
May be i missed …but where is the part where u tell how to uninstall chrome os flex…??? Still not able to kill that bug.
Hi neither rufus nor the bootable usb in Option 2 is working.
Also, am I able to recover my old files after the Reinstallation?
I don’t have the USB drive as an option in the boot menu anymore!
the lenovo boot key can also be F2, most of the time it is actually
When i use a USB as boot, the pc sends me to the BIOS screen, and if i try to press on the USB as boot it return on BIOS. Then if i try to set a boot order it start with ChromeOS… i can’t remove this OS…
June 01. 2022.
Thanks… Works great… All happy again!!!
I’d like state : I installed Cloudready on an old pc I had Windows 10 on , I had video problems with the Cloudready , Thou i was impressed with it i went back to Windows as i have 8.1 media disc . Problem is Microsoft won’t let me reinstall Windows 10 now suddenly. my hardware doesn’t qualify . Doesn’t matter cause 10 is dead but just putting it out there .
I don’t have any other laptop. The one that I have has chrome os flex installed on it. And I am finding it very difficult to make a bootable pen drive. Rufus doesn’t run on chrome os. Help me out making a bootable Pendrive either via android phone or chrome os.
You can use etch droid on Android I think it’s on play store or you can sideload it
You can make bootable pendrive from andriod phone through
ISO 2 USB app