For someone like me who doesn’t want apps to do analytics and share my data in the background, I always disable their background data usage. Not only does it saves data and battery on your Android smartphone, but it also ensures that apps don’t do any shady stuff in the background. For example, you would not want an offline call recorder app to access data and send the metadata to a third-party server for further analytics. Also, you can choose to disable background data usage for apps that are fast-depleting your Internet plan. So if you wish to prevent Android apps from using data in the background, follow our simple tutorial below.
Prevent Android Apps From Using Data in The Background (2021)
1. To prevent an app from using data in the background, press and hold the app’s icon and tap “App Info” in the pop-up menu. On some devices, you may have to tap on the “i” icon.
2. Alternatively, you can open Settings -> Apps and Notifications and go to “See all apps” to find the list of all installed apps on your Android phone. Now, open the app for which you want to disable background data usage. You will directly land on the App Info page of that particular app.
3. Once you are here, tap on “Mobile data and WiFi” and disable the toggle next to “Background data.” Doing this will stop the app from sending or receiving data in the background. Though keep in mind the app will still be able to use data when it is open.
4. In case you want to completely shut off data access to an app (even when the app is open), enable the toggle next to “Disable WiFi” and “Disable Data Usage.” It will restrict the app from using mobile data or WiFi even when the app is active. Do bear in mind this option is only available on Android 11.
5. If you are on Android 10 or below, you need to open “Data Usage” and disable the “Background data” toggle.
5. In MIUI, there is no option to disable background data usage, but you can completely turn off data usage of an app. Open the App Info page by following step #1 or #2 above and then select the “Restrict data usage.” Here, uncheck the option for “WiFi” and “Mobile data” and tap on “OK.” That’s it.
Stop Android Apps from Using Background Mobile Data
So this is how you can stop Android apps from using up your data in the foreground. If you are running realme UI or other flavors of Android, then the procedure is almost similar. Just open the App Info page and disable data usage. Anyway, that is all from us. If you want to learn similar hidden Android features, then head over to our dedicated article. And if you have any questions, do let us know in the comment section below.