- The Samsung Galaxy S24, S24+, and S24 Ultra are all rated IP68.
- The Galaxy S24 series is water-resistant and not waterproof, meaning the devices can survive splashes of water and dust.
- The IP68 rating means that the phones can survive being submerged in water up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes.
Samsung has unveiled the latest Galaxy S series flagships, the Galaxy S24, S24+, and S24 Ultra, and they come with lots of improvements over their predecessors. While the company revealed most details during the presentation, you may want to know a few technical details like the water protection across all models and if one model differs from the other in the same. Hence, in this article let’s answer the question “Is the Samsung Galaxy S24 series waterproof?”
Note: No phone is 100% “Water Proof.” IP ratings exist solely to give users peace of mind that their IP-rated devices would survive an accidental splash or dip in water. Deliberately submerging a phone in water is not a good idea and no company covers water damage under warranty.
Are Samsung Galaxy S24, S24+ & S24 Ultra Waterproof?
The Samsung Galaxy S24, S24+, and S24 Ultra are all rated IP68, meaning the devices can survive splashes of water and dust. The Galaxy S24 series is water-resistant and not waterproof. The IP68 rating means that the phones can survive being submerged in water up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes. If you’re unaware of what the numerals 6 and 8 mean in “IP68,” here’s an explanation.
Galaxy S24 Water-Resistant IP68 Rating Explained
The highest level of dust and water protection you can get is when the manufacturer rates its device IP69. The “6” in the rating means “Dust tight” or the highest level of protection from dust, while the “9” means the device can survive being immersed in water for a long period.
The “9” in an IP 69 rating means the device can survive when submerged in water deeper at high pressure, and temperature. IP69 rating is usually found in rugged devices for industrialists, whereas IP68 is found in mostly consumer devices.
What to Do If Your Samsung Smartphone Gets Wet
There could be two scenarios if you have accidentally dropped your Samsung smartphone in water: your device seems dead or still works. Either way, here’s what you should do:
- Do not press the power button. If the water seeped through the ports onto the main board, powering it on would likely short its motherboard.
- Do not use a hair dryer to dismiss the water. Hot air can loosen the adhesive behind the panels and can damage your display.
- Gather packets of Silica Gel, put your phone into a container full of silica gel packets, and close it shut for at least a day or two.
- Take your phone to your nearest Samsung authorized service center and get it diagnosed.
What are your thoughts about the Samsung Galaxy S24 series? Let us know in the comments section below.