WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging app out there, boasting of a whopping user base of over 1.5 billion people. The app facilitates easy communication across the world and has become the go-to app of choice for a lot of people. Among everything we do on WhatsApp there are hundreds of images and videos we receive everyday on various groups and personal chats. These WhatsApp media files can quickly turn your phone’s gallery into a cluttered mess. So, if you want to ensure that your WhatsApp media doesn’t show up in your phone’s gallery, here’s how you can hide it.
Note: The feature to hide WhatsApp photos from gallery is already available on iOS, but is currently in beta for Android devices. It’ll be out soon.
Hide All WhatsApp Photos and Videos from Gallery
If you’re like me, and you get countless GIFs, images, and videos on WhatsApp every single day, chances are you’d like to simply stop all of them from turning your phone’s gallery app into a meme-wasteland. With a new update, WhatsApp has made this incredibly easy to do; simply follow the steps below.
Note: Previously downloaded images and videos will still show up in your phone gallery. This setting only prevents new images from showing up.
Hide All WhatsApp Media in Android Phones
- In the WhatsApp app, tap on the three dot menu icon on the top right, and then tap on Settings.
- Here, go to ‘Chats’, and uncheck the box next to ‘Show media in gallery.’
That’s it, from now on, any WhatsApp photos and videos will not show up in your phone’s gallery.
Hide All WhatsApp Media in iPhone:
- In the WhatsApp app on iPhone, head over to Settings, and then go to ‘Chats.’
- Here, turn off the toggle next to ‘Save to Camera Roll.’
Hide WhatsApp Photos and Videos from Specific People and Groups
In case you just want to prevent WhatsApp photos and videos from a specific person, or a particular group from showing up in your phone’s gallery, you can simply follow the steps below.
Hide WhatsApp Media from Specific People and Groups on Android
- In the WhatsApp app, open the chat or group chat you want to hide photos from. Then, tap on the name of the contact or the group.
- Here, tap on ‘Media Visibility‘ and choose ‘No.‘ Tap on ‘OK’ and you’re done.
Hide WhatsApp Media from Specific People and Groups on iPhone
- In WhatsApp, open the chat or group you want to hide photos from. Tap on the name of the contact or the group.
- Here, tap on ‘Save Media to Camera Roll’ and choose ‘No.’
That’s it, from now onward, photos and videos you receive from that particular contact or group will no longer show up in your gallery or camera roll.
Keep Your Gallery Clean
Now that you know how to prevent WhatsApp photos and videos from showing up in your gallery, go ahead and block either all received media from your gallery, or just choose the specific contacts or groups that spam your gallery with GIFs and memes. With this new feature, WhatsApp has ensured that you don’t need to use any convoluted work arounds to prevent WhatsApp images from showing up in your gallery app. If you have any doubts about these methods, let me know in the comments down below, and I’ll try and help you out.