At its WWDC 2019 keynote, Apple announced the brand new iteration for macOS — macOS Catalina is official, and a developer beta for the operating system has gone live. So, if you’re a developer, or just someone who wants to try out the latest that Apple has to offer on its Mac line-up, here’s how to install macOS Catalina on your Mac right now:
Before installing macOS Catalina, there are a couple of things you should know:
- Take a backup. This is a developer beta and it might have a lot of bugs and could cause system failures. You may have to wipe your system, so make sure you have your important data backed up, and don’t install this on a primary device.
- An Apple developer account is needed to access the download file. Registering for a developer account costs $99/year.
Download and Install macOS Catalina Developer Beta:
Downloading and installing the macOS Catalina developer beta is pretty straightforward. Just follow the steps below, and you’ll be up and running in no time.
- Head over to the Apple Developer website and login with your developer account. Here, click on ‘Develop’ and go to ‘Downloads.’
- You’ll see all the developer beta releases available for you to download. Click on the ‘Install Profile‘ button next to “macOS Catalina 10.15 beta.” This will download a macOS Developer Beta Access Utility on your Mac. Simply run it to install the profile on your Mac.
- Now, macOS will automatically look for the beta update, and you’ll get the option to download it on your Mac.
That’s it, once the update has finished downloading, you’ll be able to install macOS Catalina developer beta on your Mac with just a few clicks.
As always, keep in mind that this is a developer beta and may have a ton of bugs and issues that can hinder your workflow, and/or cause other problems on your Mac. You may have to completely wipe your system, so don’t install this on a daily driver, and make sure you take a backup of all your important data before proceeding. If you can wait, we’d recommend waiting for the Public Beta that will be out in July, and should have a lot less bugs.