Xiaomi has just started rolling out the global stable ROM of MIUI 9 for select devices starting with Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2. This means that if you are using either of the above-mentioned devices, you can expect the OTA of MIUI 9 to reach your device in a couple of weeks. However, if you don’t want to wait for the OTA, you can manually download the MIUI 9 ROM and flash it on your device. No, this is not any hack. Xiaomi Officially allows you to do it, and you won’t encounter any problem what-so-ever. You are basically installing the same Global Stable ROM, however, instead of waiting for the OTA, you are manually installing the ROM right now. So, if you are interested, this is how to install MIUI9 on Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2 right now:
Install MIUI 9 on Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2
Note: Before you start the process, make sure that your phone’s battery is above 60%. Also, take a back up of all your apps and data in case something goes wrong. I tried the method on my Redmi Note 4 and it worked fine.
- First, Download the Fastboot MIUI 9 ROM files for Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2by clicking on the respective links on your PC. After the download has stopped, extract the ZIP File.
- Now, we will put our phones in the Fastboot mode to flash the ROM. First, switch off your phone and then press and hold the Power button and the Volume Down key simultaneously. It will make the phone to boot up in Fastboot mode.
- Now, download and install the latest version of the XiaoMiFlash tool on your PC.
- Now, connect your device to your PC via USB cable and launch the MiFlash tool. Here, click on the “Select” option. A new window will open up. Now browse to the folder where you extracted the MIUI 9 ROM files, and click to select the “images” folder.
- Now, click on the Refresh button. You should see your device being represented by an alphanumeric code. If you can’t, then make sure that your device is properly connected via the USB cable.
- Now, you will find three options in the bottom right corner; Clean all, Save user data and clean all lock. The first two are self explanatory. Using the Clean all option will clear your smartphone of all the data and perform a fresh install. If you want to save your user data, select the second option. The third option performs the fresh install of the MIUI 9 ROM by deleting all the data and then locks your bootloader.
- Now, just tap on the Flash button to flash the MIUI 9 ROM on your device. A progress bar will show you the current progress. Once, the bar turns green, disconnect the phone and reboot it. You will have to wait for a little bit while the ROM is being flashed. That’s it, now enjoy the MIUI 9 Global ROM on your device.
Install MIUI 9 ROM on your Redmi Note 4 or Mi Max
If you have ever flashed any MIUI ROM on your device previously, this would be a piece of cake for you. If you didn’t, just follow the steps carefully and you are good to go. If you still don’t have the confidence to try it out, you always have the option to wait for the OTA update. Let us know what you are going to do by dropping down your thoughts in the comments section below.