OnePlus 5T was recently unveiled, and with it came a ton of new features. While the highlights of the device are definitely the 18:9 screen and an updated camera, another notable feature introduced with the 5T was Face Unlock. In its attempt to challenge iPhone X’s Face ID, OnePlus has brought out Face Unlock to their flagship device, which is blazingly fast. If you’re someone who admires this feature, and would love to have it on their device, read on, as we show you how to get OnePlus 5T’s face unlock feature on your Android device:
Get OnePlus 5T Face Unlock on Your Android Device
Note: The following method makes use of Smart Lock that was introduced in Android Lollipop (5.0). As such, the method works only on devices running Android Lollipop and above (5.0+). Also, make sure to set up a screen lock using a PIN, Pattern, or Password. I tried the method on my Moto X Play running Android 7.1.1, and the method worked just fine.
- To start off, head over to Settings -> Security -> Smart Lock. You’ll be required to enter your PIN/Password to proceed, so do that.
- From the list of Smart Lock settings, tap on “Trusted face”.
- In the screen that follows, tap on “Set up”. You’ll now be shown instructions on how to add a trusted face. Tap on “Next” to continue.
- The device will now start to register your Face ID. Simply position your face inside the marked circle while the device registers your face. Upon successful completion, you’ll get a screen as shown below.
- To use Face Unlock, simply hold up your device to your face level in the locked mode. As you can see below, the icon on the bottom of the screen changes from “recognizing face” to “unlocked”.
While this may still not be as secure as OnePlus 5T’s face unlock, it is still a nice way to have the same feature on any Android device. Also, unlike the 5T which directly bypasses the lockscreen, this method only unlocks your device. You will still be required to swipe-up to unlock the device.
Unlock Your Smartphone With Your Face
The Face Unlock was one of the biggest surprise features of the OnePlus 5T. While nobody really expected it, it sure turned out to be a welcome addition. Although it may not be as secure as Apple’s Face ID, it certainly is blazingly fast. Thanks to the above method, you too can experience the super-fast face unlock. I know I’ve been using it for a long time now, and here’s your chance to use it too. Let us know in the comments section if you liked the above trick.