After many a false start over the past year, WhatsApp has finally started rolling out the much-awaited Dark Mode on both Android and iOS. It will soon be available globally, adding a fresh look and feel to a familiar experience. It will not only reduce eye strain in low light environments, but should also increase battery life, so if you want to enable the new feature, here’s how you do it on your Android device or your iPhone.
How to Enable WhatsApp Dark Mode on Android
If you’re using an Android smartphone running Android 10 and later, all you need to do is go over to system settings and turn on the system-wide dark theme. However, on devices running Android 9 Pie, you’ll have to activate the feature from within WhatsApp settings.
Enable WhatsApp Dark Mode on Android 10
While the exact location of the ‘Dark Theme’ setting may vary from device to device, our tutorial should give you a very decent idea of how to do it on any device running Android 10 and above. The following are screenshots from our Pixel 2 running Android 11 Developer Preview 1.
- Go over to Settings > Display.
2. Now Switch on the ‘Dark Theme’ option is it isn’t enabled already.
Enable WhatsApp Dark Mode on Android 9 and Lower
As mentioned already, on devices running Android 9 or earlier versions, you’ll have to switch on Dark Mode from within WhatsApp Settings.
- On the WhatsApp homepage, tap on the Menu button (three dots) on the top-right corner and choose the ‘Settings’ option from the pop-up menu.
2. Now choose the ‘Chats’ option and tap on ‘Theme’.
3. You can now switch between the Light and Dark modes as you want.
How to Enable WhatsApp Dark Mode on iOS
On devices running iOS 13, the WhatsApp Dark Mode can be enabled from the phone’s system settings. This is how you do it:
1. Go to the ‘Settings’ app and then tap on the ‘Display and Brightness’ option.
2. Now enable the system-wide Dark Mode if it’s not switched-on already.
3. As you can see, you now have dark mode on WhatsApp
Enable WhatsApp Dark Mode on Your Android Device or iPhone
Enabling Dark Mode on your smartphone is a breeze irrespective of whether you own an Android device or an iPhone. Now that you know how to do it, go ahead, enable the new theme on your device and let us know what you like and dislike about WhatsApp’s implementation of the much-wanted feature.