We were in for a wild ride as Jujutsu Kaisen drew to a close and Gojo was finally unsealed from the prison realm. In JJK chapter 221, Gege Akutami, at last, gave a taste of the much-awaited Gojo vs. Sukuna showdown. The fans went crazy right after this chapter, which reminded me of Michael Scott’s “It’s Happening!” scene in The Office TV show. The battle has finally ended after 15 chapters, and we ourselves have a winner. Keep reading to find out who will ultimately win the fight between the King of Curses and the strongest Jujutsu sorcerer.
Heavy Spoilers Warning: This article has spoilers about Gojo Satoru, Sukuna, and the ongoing story of Jujutsu Kaisen. We suggest you watch the anime and read the manga (up to chapter 236) to avoid ruining your experience.
Gojo vs. Sukuna: What Happens When an Unstoppable Force Meets an Immovable Object?
Do you remember the first time Gojo was introduced in Jujutsu Kaisen, and he instantly went on to clash against Sukuna (in Yuji’s body)? We have come a long way since then. And finally, we will witness the godly battle between two supreme beings in the Jujutsuverse. On one hand, Gojo is said to be the world’s strongest Jujutsu sorcerer of today. On the other, Sukuna is called the King of Curses and the strongest sorcerer in history. As Tai Lung from Kung Fu Panda says, “Finally! A Worthy Opponent! Our Battle Will Be Legendary!” It is indeed gonna be legendary!
Technically, during the first Gojo vs. Sukuna battle, Sukuna wasn’t at his full power as Yuji had only consumed one of his fingers. That’s not the case anymore, as Sukuna has regained most of his powers. So, everyone is madly waiting to witness this battle, and we are hyped to the core. Gojo was questioned by Itadori in JJK Season 1 Episode 2 (manga chapter 3) about who was stronger between him and Sukuna. Then, Gojo remarked that it might be a little difficult for him to defeat the King of Curses if Sukuna ate all his fingers and regained his full power. So, Itadori, being the simpleton he is, asked Gojo if he would lose, to which he said, “No, I would win.”
In the very same scene, Sukuna expressed that Gojo will be the first person he’ll kill for sure once he makes Itadori’s body his own. To which Gojo funnily replied, “It’s an honor to be targeted by Sukuna.” These exact phrases are repeated in Jujutsu Kaisen chapter 221, and this throwback makes us feel the long journey we have taken to reach here. These two powerful characters in Jujutsu Kaisen have been waiting to beef against each other from the start and it’s about to happen soon.
Gojo vs Sukuna Fight in Jujutsu Kaisen Manga (Updated)
As every fan must already be aware, the much-awaited Gojo vs. Sukuna battle has kicked off in the manga. After Gojo was unsealed from the Prison Realm in Jujutsu Kaisen, these two sorcerers first came face to face in Chapter 221. Then, the two started to duel in Chapter 223, and their fight was concluded in Chapter 236. This section will be updated weekly until we have ourselves a winner, so bookmark this article and grab your popcorn! [UPDATE] We now have the one true winner in this legendary battle between Gojo and Sukuna as it was announced in chapter 236. Keep reading to find out how this insane battle turned out to be in each chapter:
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 223
- Gojo commenced the fight by coming up with a sneaky move called Boosted Hollow Purple (200% output) to obliterate Sukuna in one go. This was done with help from Utahime and Kiyotaka Ijichi. And well, Gojo was able to catch Sukuna off-guard and landed his maximized Hollow Purple. While we expected this to deal a heavy blow to Sukuna, he momentarily lost an arm and recovered quickly using his reverse cursed technique.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 224
- Next up, both sorcerers get cocky and pass some comments on each other. As a result, they get into intense hand-to-hand combat exchanging serious blows and destroying everything in their surrounding. But they both are having their times of lives and quite literally enjoying this battle.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 225
- This chapter is where things start to heat up for real. In this chapter, the much-awaited clash of the Domain Expansion between the two sorcerers happens, and it certainly blows our minds. As the clash was even, their barriers overlapped each other and got canceled out. As a result, both were fighting with their domains open. It was stated that if one user received heavy damage or one of the domains collapsed, the result would be that the other user’s guaranteed hit would strike the collapsed user immediately. One should know that Sukuna’s attack range extends to the outside of the exterior of Gojo’s barrier, and Gojo’s barrier is weak against outside attacks. Thus, Sukuna was able to perform a quick slash attack, which nearly decapitated Gojo’s head.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 226
- In this chapter, things get worse for Gojo as his domain gets obliterated by Sukuna. Sukuna dealt massive slashes to Gojo which made him bloody in appearance. Sukuna once again proved how he is overwhelmingly stronger than Gojo in domain clashes. Gojo suffered severe injuries but came up with a way to fight him with the simple domain. Although it did buy him some time, things get bloody again for Gojo but he secretly healed his burnt-out cursed technique with reverse cursed technique. And thunderously strikes Sukuna with a Red technique to destroy Sukuna as well as his Malevolent Shrine. Gojo suddenly gained the upper hand at the end of this chapter
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 227
- A bigger chapter where Gojo pulls back his domain “Infinity Void” again after getting crushed last time. The result stays the same this time but he is trying something different. Sukuna as he got more familiar with this domain can easily break it as many times as he wants. While suffering fatal cuts, Gojo once again decides to go for a domain challenge but with a super tiny barrier.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 228
- In the comeback chapter of Gojo, he brilliantly takes advantage of the time he spent in Prison Realm. By creating a small size domain he knows how to proceed inside the compact as he spent days there. Although Sukuna once again thrashed Gojo’s domain, with that opening Gojo landed a massive blow that would restrain Sukuna from using his domain. While this clash gets heated up further by exchanging fists again, Gojo begins to wonder why Sukuna hasn’t used the Ten Shadows technique, especially Mahoraga. He begins to question just like us (the fans)
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 229
- In this chapter, Gojo perfectly made use of an opening to deal a deadly blow to Sukuna in yet another one of their Domain clashes. He was able to pierce through Sukuna’s body. As a result, Sukuna, stunned by Gojo’s overflowing powers, used the much-awaited trump card and summoned the Mahoraga (read more about Mahoraga here), which is a big twist in the battle. When Gojo planned to eliminate the general within a single move, General Mahoraga adapted to Unlimited Void instantly!
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 230
- Chapter 230 starts with Sukuna successfully adapting to Gojo’s unlimited void domain expansion. Consequently, Sukuna pointed out how Gojo has pushed beyond his limit and is exhausted now. As Gojo is in a severely weakened state now, Sukuna said his goodbye to the strongest sorcerer and started to prepare his move to dice him up. But unexpectedly, Gojo pulled himself up to deliver yet another Unlimited Void which struck Sukuna for less than ten seconds. Both managed to hurt each other well yet again and went to clash with their fists in the end.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 231
- The exchange of throws and punches between them continued very in this chapter’s beginning. Everyone was left to ponder how the adaptation of Mahoraga works as both Sukuna and Gojo were pulling off the impossible. Gojo didn’t stop getting cocky and was clearly dissing Sukuna yet again as the battle gets heated up once again.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 232
- The contemplation on how Sukuna is going to adapt to Gojo’s inviolability goes on during their battle. Gojo used his cursed technique reversal red again which Sukuna thought to be less powerful. But Gojo cleverly swung it through before it struck Sukuna and it caught him off-guard and exploded. This severely wrecked Sukuna and on top of it, Gojo pulls off the miraculous “Black Flash” move against Sukuna to deliver a gut-wrenching punch. Upon receiving a monstrous attack back to back, Sukuna was helpless and Mahoraga came out now.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 233
- In chapter 233 of JJK, Sukuna goes defensive after being severely weakened by Gojo in chapter 232. Meanwhile, Mahoraga is here to take care of Gojo and Sukuna is trying hard to make an opening for Mahoraga. It’s a 2 vs. 1 as of now but surprisingly Sukuna makes it a 3 vs. 1 against Gojo by summoning the Nue Totality: Merged Beast Agito (Great Serpent + Tiger + Round Deer). Now in the worst possible state, Gojo ponders over taking care of 3 of these monsters at once and decides to bring the ultimate “Unlimited Hollow” as his finishing move.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 234
- As Gojo is in a serious disadvantageous position of 1 vs. 3, Yuta decides to come into the battleground and assist him. But this was stopped as it’ll hinder our Gojo’s plans. Gojo prioritizes his needs to finish Mahoraga and Agito, meanwhile, Mahoraga instantly delivers a slash attack that tore Gojo’s right hand completely. Even with one hand, Gojo effortlessly fought against all three with his maximum output: blue technique and wipes out Agito. Finally, he unleashed the big ace up on his sleeves, Hollow Purple with a timer.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 235
- Now that Agito is out of the equation, Gojo is in a 1 vs. 2 showdown with Mahoraga and Sukuna. He immediately uses another black flash against them. More importantly, Gojo grows his hand back with the narrator saying Satoru’s voltage ramps up. Simultaneously, the narrator announces that Sukuna felt “uneasy” for the first time in a millennium. Gojo starts his preparations for Hollow Purple by letting his new red merge with the previously emitted blue. Sukuna realizing this orders Mahoraga to destroy this merger.
- Gojo intervenes and stops Mahoraga with a serious blow. Then, he stops Sukuna’s Piercing Blood, the King of Curses’ attempt to stop Gojo from firing Hollow Purple, by swallowing it inside the blue technique. The merger successfully happens with a new unlimited Hollow Purple born out of it.
- This results in a massive bomb blowing up all three in its radius. Mahoraga is vaporized and Sukuna can be seen in an utterly defeated state. Though Gojo blows himself up with Sukuna, he isn’t that badly hurt since it’s his own cursed energy. In the final panel, Kusakabe finally announces that “Gojo Won” as Sukuna is in an incapable state.
Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 236
- Just when we thought, Gojo had finally won this impossible battle, author Gege Akutami easily tricked us into believing that with the last chapter. This chapter kickstarted with Gojo having conversations with his late nakamas and fans started to sweat as the event that had been predicted by them was turning into a reality. That is us seeing the final moments of Gojo Satoru.
- It is confirmed that Gojo is dead and is killed by none other than the “King of the Curses”. Sukuna went on to explain how he perfectly used his trump card (Mahoraga) to adapt to Gojo’s inviolability. As Sukuna got rid of inviolability, he used the new ace up on his sleeve which is a new version of slash attack that would split anything in its way into two pieces.
- That’s how our Gojo sensei was caught in that special slash and the splitting of his body caused his untimely death. In the end, Sukuna acknowledged how strong Gojo was and mentioned that he wouldn’t forget him until he died.
As seen in JJK chapter 236, Sukuna made a comeback while he was on the losing side. Whereas Gojo who was thought to be the winner of this legendary fight suddenly died with Sukuna outsmarting him. In order for the story and our MC Yuji Itadori to develop and progress, I think that is why Akutami went with this result. Gojo’s death is a loss to everyone in the fandom, however, some Sukuna fans are having a field day as the battle is over, and Sukuna emerges as the winner.
Gojo vs Sukuna: Final Verdict in Jujutsu Kaisen
During a flashback in the Shibuya Incident arc (manga chapter 117), Gojo mentioned that a Ten Shadows technique user was able to successfully defeat a Limitless cursed technique user with Six Eyes. So, everyone was waiting for the history to be rewritten by Gojo Satoru. But what actually happened was that history repeated itself again as Sukuna (with Megumi’s body) rose up as the champion of this unforgettable battle.
This heroic battle lasted for around 15 chapters, but the emotions and adrenaline rush moments were unmatchable. This is not the result we wanted to see (as a Gojo fan), as it resulted in the saddest moment in the history of JJK. But with Gege ruling out Gojo, we can finally see other strongest characters such as Yuta, Maki, etc. starting to pave their way towards victory and won’t let go of Gojo’s death in vain.
And that’s everything we know about the battle between these two godly characters. We have come to this conclusion of this battle as it was announced in chapter 236. With that said, did you enjoy the fabled battle of Gojo vs. Sukuna? Let us know your thoughts about this end in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Currently, Sukuna has eaten 15 out of 20 of his fingers and has complete control over Megumi’s body and the cool Ten Shadows technique. In the past, Gojo asserted that he could defeat Sukuna even if he had consumed his 20 fingers, but things are different this time. Therefore, in our opinion, Sukuna is stronger than Gojo when taking into account his powers and abilities right now.
Yes! Gojo is currently the only Jujutsu master sorcerer in existence who is capable of defeating Sukuna. It will be game over for Sukuna if he comes up with new abilities in their battle.
Even if Sukuna eats all 20 of his fingers and reaches the height of his abilities, Gojo said that it would be a bit draining but he will be able to defeat the King of Curses at the end of the day. Naturally, Gojo believes he will triumph over Sukuna.
Featured Image Courtesy: Jujutsu Kaisen by Gege Akutami – Chapter 221 (Shonen Jump/ Viz Media)